I know that I've been wanting to kick this rut straight in it's arse, but wasn't sure what was going to do it. I've tried browsing blogs, galleries, products, and coming up less motivated than I was before and an emptier wallet than I had before. I knew that I needed to get out of this quagmire because I have a deadline to meet this month.
::GASP!:: A deadline?! Now THAT is word you haven't heard me utter here in FOR.E.VAR. You see, there's this totally awesome, and yes, I'll use the word, DOPE, website called the Art House Co-Op. They are an organization that puts on these crazy project challenges of sorts. They are most widely known for their Sketchbook Project (which *I* will be participating in next year come hell or high water!). It's such a cool thing they do. Read up on it. You'll be amazed at what it's about. There will be no spoilers here. However, I will drop one clue: Brooklyn Art Library. Still curious? Well, go check it out.
Anyway, I got sidetracked. SQUIRREL! Deadline. Yes. Ok. I decided to sign up for the second worldwide 4 x 6 art swap so brilliantly named "The 4x6 Exchange 2". The first one they did filled up so quickly and was received with such amazing response, that they did a second one. I signed up. I love a good challenge. For the details on it, just click the link and read all about it. But it pretty much says that you create a 4x6 flat piece of art, mail it to them, then they mail it to someone else some where in the world and you get a piece from someone else some where in the world...yadda yadda yadda...you get the point.
Here's what I made. I was inspired by an awesome video tutorial put together by Amy Lassiter. She had this cool tutorial on how to paper collage corrugated chipboard, namely, the Ouchless Cardboard from Gauche Alchemy. Talk about an amazing "AHA!!" moment! I used a recycled piece of cardboard from inside an old picture frame and gesso as my foundation before I started collaging.
I used her idea of collaging piece from the Foreign Text paper kit but I wondered how it would work using the Napkin Kit as well. The flowers are cut from a napkin! I instantly saw it coming together as I began mod podging stuff down.
Once I was happy with the paper placement, I added a few spotty sprays of Tattered Angels glimmer mist in Fully Purple and some paint splatters in Citrus by Adirondack. My alphas are OOOOOL' SKOOOOOOL Pink Paislee and Making Memories.
Since making sure the alphas stay in place while being mailed internationally (possibly) can be a bit tricky, I decided to take the lazy man's way out and slap some gel medium over the top of them. It actually works out because it add a slight visual texture and the tiniest bit of a gloss. I also added the gel medium over parts of the flower and sporadically over the entire card.
|My gel isn't dry yet. ::blush::|
Thanks for taking a look and be sure to check out the Art House Co-Op...and it wouldn't hurt for you to swing by Gauche Alchemy either. Especially since we are having a sale! The whole store is marked down 10%.
Or if you choose, you can use the code "BADASSERY" for 20% off your purchase at Paper Issues! Decisions, decisions!!